Can we just pretend that October didn’t happen?
Because it actually feels like it didn’t. Also, happy eighth month of quarantine, or us being stuck at home and being antisocial!!
And for once my October wasn’t terrible, it was decent! It was also an absolute mess, but let’s just ignore that. I’m just excited for November and cold weather.
Today I’ll be wrapping up what happened to me in October, including a less than average reading month and me oversharing!
I read 11 books this month! Which is lower than usual. Some of them were really good and some of them were really…not good. I’ve been trying to read some more diverse books and I guess I sort of did…?
But anyways, here we go!
- Looking for Alaska by John Green // I was rereading this for the second time for a book club and just like the first time, it was horrible. I didn’t really care for the characters and the plot was almost nonexistent?? ★★☆☆☆
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas // one of my favorite reads of the year. there were so many powerful messages and it really opened my eyes to what’s happening ★★★★☆
- Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz // I feel like whenever I mention this, I’m going to have a breakdown. it was so well-written, but the storyline wasn’t very appealing ★★★☆☆ [3.5]
- The Lucky Ones by Liz Lawson // I’m not really sure how to rate this because it was both really good and boring. I loved the themes, but the characters didn’t really click with me ★★★☆☆ [3.5]
- Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim // loved the diverse cast of characters! I’m surprised at how much I loved this. can’t wait for the next one! ★★★★☆
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri M. Maniscalco // was my first time reading one of her books, but I was left disappointed. there was lots of potential but it just didn’t live up. DNF ★★☆☆☆
- The Cup and the Prince by Day Leitao // the premise really hooked me but it left me disappointed. the characters were so immature and the writing style was not for me ★★☆☆☆
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black // the hype killed it for me, but I still enjoyed reading this. jurdan (their ship name?) forever ★★★☆☆ [3.5]
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas // this was so much fun!! the characters got to me and I ended up loving them. one of the best debuts I’ve read this year ★★★★★ [RTC?]
- The Wicked King by Holly Black // how was this better than the first book? it exceeded my expectations for sure. I want to go to Faerieland ★★★★☆
- The Henna Wars by Abida Jaigirdar // omg I loved this one so much. nishat and flávia stole my heart ★★★★☆ [4.5]
- Okay so I was doing good-ish on posting consistently? Kind of? And I was horrible at replying to comments.
- Ahhh I’m sorry I’ll get to them soon (maybe).
- I posted 5 times this month! Which is more than usual!! So I’m happy with that.
Thank you all so much for your support on these posts!! I was going to do another post of anticipated releases (yes, there are too many books I want to read), so I’ll post that later.
- Chana @ Paper Procrastinators discussed the difference between science vs. fiction in books. It’s a really interesting discussion, go check it out!
- May @ Forever and Everly made a list of underrated books that everyone needs to read and as someone who wants to read more underrated books, I loved it!!
- Prutha @ Confessions of a Music and Book Addict roasted very hyped books in her post of popular books she’ll never read.
- Cherelle @ Cherelle the Bibliophille’s blog turned one month old! Go follow her blog, she’s so amazing! Happy one month ❤️
- Deynne @ Pastel Daydreams shares a list of books from Filipino diaspora authors.
- Aria @ Book Nook Bits created a new feature for her blog called My Bookish Rambles!
So the election’s going on right now and I’m extremely terrified but also insanely excited at the same time. I’m stressed and panicking!! Politics are the absolute worst.
On the bright side, I did a lot of binge-reading! To be specific, I found out that Heartstopper was a webtoon and binge-read all 140 episodes in one morning!! I loved it so much ❤
And season two of The Mandalorian is finally out! I’ve only been waiting for a year for it to release. But why do we need to suffer for a week until the next episode is out?? You tell me. Very unrelated but I love Baby Yoda.
I’m also debating whether to participate in NaNoWriMo this year. I’m not very good at writing, and I don’t know if I’ll have time for it. But I still want to try!
how was your October? do you read webcomics? are you participating in NaNoWriMo? what are some of your favorite diverse reads? what are you looking forward to in November?